What is Aerial Yoga:
Aerial yoga is a type of yoga that uses a hammock or yoga swing to allow students to perform postures that they may not ordinarily be able to attempt on the yoga mat. It is often also referred to as AntiGravity yoga. It is inspired by Pilates, dance and acrobatics. The credit of its origin goes to Christopher Harrison, a dancer with a performance background in acrobatics.
The Hammock or the silk cloth support is hung from the ceiling and it is a meter above the ground. It is beneficial for long-time sitters and those who have back pain. It should not be performed unsupervised by pregnant women and people suffering from vertigo.
What does an Aerial yoga class include:
A proper Aerial Yoga class includes the following:
- Each student has their own hammock and the instructor gives verbal instructions or might demonstrate certain poses. The students follow the instructor.
- It strengthens the whole body and activates muscle joints.
- Classes are more entertaining and versatile than the routine yoga mat practice because of the use of the hammock.
- More cooling and calming sequence or postures are included.
Benefits of Aerial Yoga Class:
Following are the benefits of Aerial Yoga Class:
- It makes you strong:- It strengthens muscles and makes joints flexible. It engages muscles of the entire body. It is great for core and upper body strength.
- It helps you overcome fear and builds confidence:-Trying a headstand in the air with the help of hammock can be both exciting and scary. It helps you build confidence as with this yoga you will come to know whether you are capable of doing a headstand (or any other asana) or not and how helpful the hammock can be for support.
- It acts as a natural healer for psychological problems:- It aligns body and centres your mind. The performer has to let himself free from all distractions and every day worries. During Aerial Yoga Class, Aerial yoga demands focus and attention. As a result the person gets relieved from stress and other mental problems.
- It is playful and fun:- During childhood we all have enjoyed swinging in the air. Why not try being adults. It gives you pleasure while performing asanas in the air. It makes you happy and brings a smile on your face.
- Total body workout:- It engages all muscles and joints. It decompresses the spine and regenerates the body. It works on every part of the body.
- Inner body reactivation:- The sweat produced during yoga is good for reactivating body. All physiological processes of the body such as digestion, respiration and circulation are reactivated through increased blood circulation while performing yoga.
- Helps in reducing excess body fat:- By twisting, turning and holding in different positions we sweat and burn calories and this it helps in reducing body fat.
- Develop new body skills:- By regularly performing Aerial yoga, you learn new skills which may be different from regular yoga practice.
- Rejoice your spirit:- It gives new zeal and boosts your moral. It makes you happy and thus delights your spirit. It increases creativity which helps you become your own artist.
Can a beginner perform aerial yoga:
Yes, you can but you need to be open-minded and relaxed while doing this practice. It would be better to try traditional yoga first to get through the terminologies and breathing techniques.
Check with your yoga instructor. Aerial yoga hammock and hook will be provided in the class. Besides these:
- You may require a yoga mat.
- Wear comfortable breathable clothes.
- Carry a small hand towel.
- Bring a water bottle.
So, what do you think? Would you like to try aerial yoga teacher training?
It is different from the regular one. But as with most things in life, you will never know unless you try. So if you have tried yoga before, take it up a level and try something new. I hope you find this article informative & interesting.