15 Aug Aerial Yoga Classes
What is Aerial Yoga:
Aerial yoga is a type of yoga which uses a hammock or yoga swing to allow students to perform postures that they may not ordinarily be able to attempt on the yoga mat. It is often also referred to as Anti Gravity yoga. It is inspired by pilates, dance and acrobatics. The credit of its origin goes to Christopher Harrison, a dancer with a performance background in acrobatics.
The Hammock or the silk cloth support is hung from the ceiling & it’s a meter above the ground. It is beneficial for long-time sitters & those who have back pain. It should not be performed by pregnant women & vertigo people.
What does Aerial yoga include:
- A proper Aerial class includes:
- Each student has their own hammock & the instructor gives verbal instructions or might perform some certain poses. The students have to follow the instructor.
- It strengthens the whole body & activates muscle joints.
- It attracts people as it is different from routine yoga because we are using the hammock.
- More cooling & calming sequence or postures are included.
Benefits of Aerial Yoga:
Following are the benefits of Aerial Yoga:
- It makes you strong:- It strengthens muscles & makes joints flexible. It engages all muscles. It is great for core & upper body strength.
- It helps you overcome fear & builds confidence:-Trying a headstand in the air with the help of hammock can be both exciting & scary. It helps you build confidence as with this yoga you will come to know whether you are capable of doing a headstand (or any other asana) or not & how helpful the hammock can be for support.
- It acts as a natural healer for psychological problems:- It aligns body & centres your mind. The performer has to let himself free from all distractions & every day worries. Aerial yoga demands focus & attention so as a result the person gets relieved from stress & all mental problems.
- It’s playful & fun:- During childhood we all have enjoyed swinging in the air. Why not try being adults. It gives you pleasure while performing asanas in the air. It makes you happy & crackles smile on your face.
- Total body workout:- It engages all muscles & joints. It decompresses the spine & regenerates the body. It works on every part of the body.
- Inner body reactivation:- The sweat produced during yoga is good for reactivating body. All physiological processes of the body such as digestion, respiration & circulation are reactivation through blood circulating while performing yoga.
- Helps in reducing excess body fat:- By twisting, turning & holding in different positions we sweat & this it helps in reducing body fat.
- Develop new body skills:- By regular performing Aerial yoga, you come to know new skills which may be different from regular yoga.
- Rejoice your spirit:- It gives new zeal & boosts your moral makes you happy & thus rejoice your spirit. It increases creativity which helps you become your own artist.
Can a beginner perform this yoga:
Yes, you can but you need to be open-minded & relax while doing. It would be better to try normal first to get through the terminologies & breathing techniques.
You need to check with your yoga instructor as hammock & hook will be provided in the class.
- You may require a yoga mat.
- Wear comfortable clothes & carry a small towel or napkin.
- A water bottle.
So, what do you think? Would you like to try aerial yoga teacher training?
It’s different from the regular one. But as with most things in life, you’ll never know unless you try. So if you have tried yoga before, take it up a level and try something new. I hope you find this article informative & interesting.